Read about the progress of legislation and news with regards to gun owners rights and the National Rifle Association.
Maryland General Assembly Session
2020 Sine Die Report – March, 18, 2020
After a very contentious journey, the Maryland General Assembly adjourned Sine Die at roughly 5PM on March 18, 2020. The presiding officers of the legislature, responding to the concerns of the COVID-19 outbreak, decided to end the session early…with an expected Special Session to be called starting the last week of May.
This session saw many similar fights to those of the past; the progressive wing of the Democrat party has pulled the gloves off and are coming after law-abiding firearms owners with all the strength they can muster. As the Special Session draws closer, please be prepared to wade into the pit again and go up against the vipers as they come after our firearms rather than going after the actual criminals in the state.
The following firearms and hunting bills will be heading to the Governor for a decision – sign or veto. The bills are listed with MSRPA’s stance:
- House Bill 4 – Public Safety – Rifles and Shotguns – Secondary Transfers: OPPOSE / Request VETO
- House Bill 1629 – Office of the Attorney General – Firearm Crime – Study: OPPOSE / Request VETO
- Senate Bill 208 – Public Safety – Rifles and Shotguns – Secondary Transfers: OPPOSE / Request VETO
- Senate Bill 1010 – Public Safety – Maryland Code of Military Justice: NO POSITION
- House Bill 173 – Natural Resources – Sunday Hunting: FAVORABLE / Request SIGN
- House Bill 236 – Hunting and Fishing Licenses – Active Military, Former Prisoners of War, Recipients of the Purple Heart Award, and Disabled Veterans: NO POSITION
- House Bill 1304 – Baltimore County – Hunting – Deer Management Permits: FAVORABLE / Request SIGN
- Senate Bill 142 – Natural Resources – Recreational License Donation Program and Healing Hunting and Fishing Fund – Revisions: NO POSITION
- Senate Bill 242 – Natural Resources – Wild Waterfowl Policy – Repeal: NO POSITION
- Senate Bill 427 – Baltimore County – Hunting – Deer Management Permits: FAVORABLE / Request SIGN
Our legislative tracker has been updated with the final bill statuses – https://www.msrpa.org/2020-maryland-general-assembly-bill-tracker/.
Chairman of the Board